June 15, 2011

Coupon Myths: Part 2



Since our vacation is over, I'm finally continuing the series on the most widely believed coupon myths I began two weeks ago. In this series, I'm focusing on common coupon myths & I'll show why I believe it is false.

Even after showing many of my friends & family my success with bargain shopping, they are often still skeptical. Hopefully, pointing out this series will help win over at least a few unbelievers.


Coupon Myth #2:

"Coupons are only available for things 
that I don't like, don't and/or wouldn't buy."

Oh, I have heard this complaint over and over and over. The "I can't ever find coupons for things I use/need/or want" complaint.  But here's the deal...unless you never purchase toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, makeup, deodorant, cereal, milk (yes, there are coupons for milk) condiments, etc  then I beg to differ.

There are millions of coupons released each year for almost every type of product out there. You might have to search for it a little harder if you have your heart set on a specific brand, but most likely, you will eventually be able to find one.

But this brings me to another point.  One of the very first things you will learn when you begin couponing is that in order to maximize savings, you cannot be brand-loyal. This is the act of sticking with a certain brand for strictly personal reasons.

For example, before I began couponing, I always purchased Peter Pan peanut butter, simply because that's what my mother purchased when I was growing up & I was comfortable with it.  However, once I began understanding the sale cycles & how coupons & stockpiling worked, I realized that if I wanted to save the most amount of money, I may need to switch & purchase a different brand of peanut butter depending on the available coupons & store sales.  The switch that I made from one brand of peanut butter to another ended up making no difference to me and I quickly learned not to be brand-loyal in order to save money. This same idea can apply to other areas of shopping with coupons, such as toiletries, personal care need items, etc.


Now, the other part of this myth says that you wouldn’t normally buy the items you are able to find coupons for.  Many people refuse to purchase a certain item because they assume the store brand is always cheaper.  And many, many people say that those who use coupons buy items they don't need or even want simply because they have a coupon for it.

Yes, coupons can make it possible to buy things that you have never purchased before, but have always wanted to try.  Coupons can also make it possible to purchase items that you personally do not need or want & then donate them to charities or those less fortunate. I’m able to buy things I don't use and then donate them to those who do use them.


So here's the bottom line: thousands of coupons are released everyday for things that the average person uses. They also make it possible to try out new things without breaking your budget. Ending your loyalties to specific brands can maximize your savings.(On a side note: I understand there are just some items you may not be willing to change brands on. In that case, simply stockpile the brand you like whenever you do find a decent price).   Chances are, if you take the time to really look, you will find coupons for many of the things that you already use everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment