July 05, 2011

Coupon Myths: Part 3

 

In this series, I'm focusing on common coupon myths & why I believe it is false.  Even after showing many of my friends & family my success with bargain shopping, they are often still skeptical. Hopefully, this series will help win over at least a few unbelievers!



Coupon Myth #3:  

"Store brand products are always cheaper 
than brand name products, even with a coupon"

This is one myth I believed for a very long time.  And at certain times, it still holds true.  But, the key to maximizing your savings & finding brand name items for a lower price than generics is to wait until they are on sale AND pair it with a coupon.  It isn't a very difficult concept, but I didn’t get it for a long time!

Before I learned how to coupon, I thought you had to buy generic products if you wanted to save money & be considered thrifty.  But now I know better.  I have a lot of brand name products in my house and I paid less for them than the generic versions!  This may not seem important to you-or you may wonder why buying "brand name" products are important to me. Well, it's not the fact that they are "brand name" that is important-it's the fact that I can get a much better deal on them!

For example:
  • I can go to my  local superstore & purchase the store brand angel hair pasta for $0.54. 
  • Or, I can go to my local grocery store that doubles coupons when angel hair pasta is on sale for $1, use a $0.50/1 coupon that will double & get the item for FREE!
This is just one small example of how with a little organization, preparation & planning, you can save more money in the long run with sales & coupons than always purchasing the generic version of a product.

Note: 
If you happen to run out of a specific item and you have to have it right away, generics might be the way to go.  But, that will hopefully be few and far between.  If you keep up on your stockpiling, very rarely will you have to buy generic items.  

So overall, I would say that the idea of buying store brand as a way to save the most money is definitely a myth!

No comments:

Post a Comment